Living Planet Fellowship > Home
Call for Research Proposals:
On behalf of the European Space Agency (ESA), we are pleased to invite you participate to the first Call for Research Proposals of the Living Planet Fellowship. This initiative represents the follow-on of the successful Changing Earth Science Network.
The main objective of this initiative is to provide support to young researchers who have a doctoral degree and who would like to initiate a scientific career in the context of Earth Observation, Earth science and Climate research. Candidate researchers shall submit research proposals responding to one of following Programmatic Areas:
A) Support To Science:
- Scientific exploitation of ESA.s Earth Explorer missions (i.e. SMOS, CryoSat, GOCE and Swarm), developing and validating innovative methods, novel products and promoting new scientific results.
- Earth System Science research maximising the exploitation of ESA missions and long-term ESA archives (e.g. ERS-1, ERS-2, Envisat), also in synergy with other ESA and non-ESA data sets, specifically addressing the new scientific challenges of the Living Planet Programme.
B) Scientific Exploitation of the Sentinels:
- Development and validation of advanced EO methods and products for scientific exploitation of the continued observations and innovative features of the Sentinel missions (Sentinel 1, Sentinel 2, Sentinel 3 or Sentinel 5P).
- Developing novel scientific methods and tools for enhancing the synergetic exploitation of the Sentinel missions (Sentinel 1, Sentinel 2, Sentinel 3 and Sentinel 5P).
C) Climate Change Initiative:
- Exploiting Essential Climate Variable (ECV) products generated by the ESA.s Climate Change Initiative (CCI) for improved understanding of the climate system.
- Examining Cross-ECV consistency and multiple ECV use (those under the CCI Programme in particular).
1. Call for Research Proposals Package
The Call for Research Proposals package includes the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Appendix 1: Call for Research Proposals 2014 (Including its Annex A: The Challenges of the Living Planet, Annex B: ESA Climate Change Initiative, Annex C: Proposal Template and Annex D: PSS form)
- Appendix 2: Draft Partnership Agreement
In order to respond to this Call, you must submit all of the documents described at Section 2.3 of the Call for Research Proposals (Appendix 1).
The documentation (Call for Research Proposals package) can be downloaded here.
2. Institutions Entitled to Participate in the Call
- Any projects carried out under Programmatic Areas (A) and (B) will be funded under the 4th period of ESA.s Earth Observation Envelope Programme (EOEP-4). EOEP-4 is an optional programme of the Agency, and participation in a project under Programmatic Areas (A) or (B) is restricted to institutions which have their registered office in one of the following Participating States: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and Canada.
Spanish Tenderers are advised that although Spain is participating in EOEP-4, its contribution is already earmarked for specific elements in EOEP-4 aiming at ensuring continuity with activities stemming from the previous period. Therefore, institutions which have their registered office in Spain are not entitled to submit a proposal under Programmatic Areas (A) or (B).
- Any projects carried out under Programmatic Area (C) will be funded under the Climate Change Initiative (CCI) element of ESA.s European Earth Watch Programme (Earth Watch). Earth Watch is an optional programme of the Agency, and participation in a project under Programmatic Area (C) is restricted to institutions which have their registered office in one of the following Participating States: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.
3. Closing Date
Your proposal and all supporting documents must be sent by e-mail to: EOScience@esa.int by no later than 30 June 2014 (the Closing Date).
Any questions relating to this Call must be sent, by e-mail to EOScience@esa.int, not later than two (2) weeks before the Closing Date.